LONDON, July 20, 2020 /PRNewswire-HISPANIC PR WIRE/ — WorldRemit, a leading international payments service, has launched the inaugural List of Influential Colombians in the Diaspora, in celebration of Colombian Independence Day, which falls on 20th July. This year’s celebrations will not include the customary street parades and parties, due to the country emerging from a strict lockdown in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
The inaugural List of Influential Colombians in the Diaspora was compiled in recognition of the successes and contributions made by Colombian migrants in the diaspora, to their communities back home and in their chosen fields. According to the World Bank, Colombians in the diaspora sent close to USD $7 billion in remittances last year. The list of honorees includes individuals who have made significant contributions in fields as diverse as philanthropy, hospitality and academia.
“Colombia is one of the most important remittance destinations in the world, and this is the direct result of the many hardworking Colombians in the diaspora who support their loved ones back home. As a result of the challenges facing our global community, we believe it is important to highlight the positive contributions of these individuals in the diaspora, in celebration of Independence Day,” said Daniel Canning, Managing Director, Americas at WorldRemit.
Here is the 2020 WorldRemit List of Influential Colombians in the Diaspora:
- Angela Sierra
- Angela is an audiovisual producer and cultural leader. She created the LatinArte Foundation, the first showcase for artists of Latin American origin in Canada.
- Alexandra Aristizabal
- Alexandra is the director of the Colombian Pride Independence Festival, in New York City, and the president of J&A Global Corporation.
- Sandra Riano
- Sandra is a psychotherapist and the founder of the Hispanic Women Network in Toronto, an organization that provides tools for women to grow their businesses.
- Reverend Javier Arias
- Javier is an Anglican priest and an advocate for migrant and Hispanic communities.
- Vladimir Olarte
- Vladimir leads projects which find business solutions to poverty and renewable energy in Latin America.
- Luis Villegas
- Luis is a green Filmmaker, who aims to reduce the carbon footprint of film and television production.
- Juliana Zerda
- Juliana is a senior advisor on innovation and andragogy at the École des entrepreneurs du Québec and owner of Viceversa Commerce.
- Veronica Orozco
- Veronica is a social media influencer, podcaster and writer who uses her platforms to express her stand on politics, fashion, and lifestyle topics.
- Angela Maria Tafur
- Angela is the Co-Founder and President of Give to Colombia, a US-based charity that supports projects in the areas of Education, Health, Economic Development and Environment in her home country.
The selection criteria for the list includes the following:
- The honoree must have a proven track record of making significant contributions in their chosen field
- The honoree has made a significant social impact within the Colombian diaspora or their community back home
- The honoree has broken barriers by positively challenging the status quo and/or creating opportunities for others
To mark the launch of the List of Influential Colombians in the Diaspora and in celebration of Colombian Independence Day, WorldRemit is waiving its transaction service fees for new customers on their first 3 money transfer transactions through its 3FREE promotion. For more details about how to take advantage of the 3FREE promotion, please visit: www.worldremit.com/3free. Terms and conditions apply.
To learn more about the honorees, please visit: www.worldremit.com
WorldRemit is a leading international payments service. We disrupted an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players by taking international money payments online – making them safer, faster and lower-cost. We currently send from 50 to 150 countries, operate in 6,500 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,100 people worldwide.
On the sending side WorldRemit is 100% digital (cashless), increasing convenience and enhancing security. For those receiving money, the company offers a wide range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, mobile airtime top-up and mobile money.
Backed by Accel, TCV and Leapfrog – WorldRemit’s headquarters are in London, UK with a global presence including in the United States, Canada, South Africa, Japan, Singapore, the Philippines, Australia and New Zealand.
For more information visit www.worldremit.com
CONTACT: Dorree Gurdak, email@example.com