HAMPTON, N.H., May 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Planet Fitness, one of the largest and fastest-growing global franchisors and operators of fitness centers with more members than any other fitness brand, proudly honors Mental Health Awareness Month by offering the first month free for new members who join from May 3 – 12 to help Americans get moving and directly combat the physical and mental tolls taken by the COVID-19 pandemic. Physical activity has been scientifically proven* to boost mood, reduce stress and improve self-confidence.
Results from a national study**, commissioned by Planet Fitness this April, show more than three in four (77 percent) Americans report that at least one aspect of their overall health and wellbeing has been negatively impacted by the pandemic. The American Psychological Association similarly found*** that more than half of U.S. adults (53 percent) have been less physically active than they wanted to be since the pandemic started, with a majority (61 percent) experiencing undesired weight changes, averaging 28 to 41 pounds gained.
But there is light at the end of the tunnel, with Planet Fitness finding that 92 percent of impacted Americans noting they are proactively doing at least one thing to improve their mental health.
As a leader in health and fitness, Planet Fitness is making it possible for everyone to get active with the first month free for anyone who joins from May 3 – 12. New members pay $0 enrollment, then $10 a month, with no commitment and can cancel anytime, making fitness more accessible and affordable for all. New “Mind & Body Wellness Workouts” from Planet Fitness and iFit trainers are also available this month in the free Planet Fitness App, available to members and non-members alike. From “Wellness Flow” and “De-Stress” workouts to a five-part “Total Wellness Series,” each of these new routines – among the more than 500 other in-app exercises for all levels and interests – aims to help everyone get moving toward feeling great. Planet Fitness-curated “Cool Vibes Only” and “Motivation Station” playlists are also available via Spotify.
“While the COVID-19 pandemic has negatively impacted so many of us both mentally and physically, the future is looking bright, and now is the time to get as many people moving as possible to improve our overall health and wellbeing,” said Jeremy Tucker, chief marketing officer at Planet Fitness. “Fitness is essential and, as the industry leader, Planet Fitness believes that everyone should have access to non-intimidating and affordable fitness. By offering everyone – yes everyone – a free month of fitness if they sign up today, we’re making it possible for more people than ever to make positive changes in their lives. Our research shows that Americans want and need to improve their mental health, and we want to do all we can to inspire everyone to utilize fitness to do so.”
Additional insights from Planet Fitness’ national study include:
- The Mind-Body Connection. Nearly nine in 10 (87 percent) Americans believe that their mental and physical wellness are co-dependent.
- Mental Wellness on the Back Burner. In light of the pandemic, close to three in five (56 percent) Americans say they haven’t made their mental wellness a priority in the past year.
- The Great Disconnect. Among those whose mental wellness has been adversely affected, close to three in five (57 percent) feel disconnected from the things they once enjoyed. Many also feel out of touch from what makes them who they are (36 percent) or are unable to maintain emotionally healthy relationships with the important people in their lives (35 percent).
- Stress is Pervasive. 56 percent of Americans admit they feel stress and anxiety more than ever before. And among those whose mental wellness has been negatively impacted by the pandemic, close to one in two (49 percent) confess that they are more stressed than they are at peace.
“Exercise has never been more important in our fight against COVID-19,” said Dr. Richard Carmona, 17th Surgeon General of the United States. “Supporting both mental and physical health is equally important but can be difficult, specifically during stressful times like the current pandemic. As vaccines set the stage for a future full of optimism, it’s time we prepare ourselves for the journey ahead and make sure we’re taking steps towards mental wellness now.”
Planet Fitness encourages everyone to stay active and healthy, and the company has implemented numerous enhanced COVID-19 safety and sanitization protocols at its well-ventilated and spacious clubs, such as:
- Touchless check-in via the free Planet Fitness App
- A Crowd Meter on the Planet Fitness App that allows members to check club capacity in real-time before even leaving the house
- Increased sanitization every 20 minutes to continually clean and sanitize high-touch areas, with cleaning stations available for member use (just look for the yellow flags throughout the floor area)
- Mask policies in accordance with local guidelines
- Employees receiving daily temperature checks and personal protective equipment, including having to wear a mask at all times
To locate the nearest Planet Fitness club to you and take advantage of this limited time offer of first month free, $0 enrollment, then $10 a month, with no commitment and can cancel anytime for new members, please visit PlanetFitness.com/Local-Clubs.
*Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/depression/in-depth/depression-and-exercise/art-20046495
**Online survey conducted by Kelton Global, a Material Company, to 1,004 nationally representative Americans ages 18 and over, with a margin of error of +/- 3.1 percent.
***(2021, March 11). One year later, a new wave of pandemic health concerns. American Psychological Association. https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2021/one-year-pandemic-stress
About Planet Fitness
Founded in 1992 in Dover, NH, Planet Fitness is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. As of December 31, 2020, Planet Fitness had approximately 13.5 million members and 2,124 stores in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Canada, Panama, Mexico and Australia. The Company’s mission is to enhance people’s lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®️. More than 95% of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/planet-fitness-study-finds-more-than-three-in-four-americans-77-percent-say-the-covid-19-pandemic-has-negatively-impacted-their-overall-health-301281702.html
SOURCE Planet Fitness, Inc.