A combined file photo shows US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (L) and Kim Yong-chol (R), vice chairman of the central commmittee of North Korea’s ruling Workers’ Party. EPA-EFE/FILE/YONHAP SOUTH KOREA OUT
Seoul, Nov 7 (efe-epa).- The South Korean government Wednesday hoped that a postponed meet between the United States and North Korea would be rescheduled soon.
Earlier in the day, the US had announced that a meet between US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean intelligence head Kim Yong-chol in New York on Thursday has been postponed.
“Regrettably, it did not happen,” a South Korean foreign ministry official told Yonhap news agency, adding that “excessive meaning” should not be attached to the delay.
The official added that the ongoing dialogue on denuclearization was a long process and they “expect (the two sides) to reschedule talks at an early date.”
The US government did not provide any reason for the postponement or when the meeting would be rescheduled.
US Department of State spokesperson, Heather Nauert, had merely said the meeting will be reconvened at a later date.
The aim of the meeting in New York was to prepare for a second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to resume the dialogue on denuclearization that had begun during the historic June summit in Singapore.
South Korean presidential spokesperson Yoon Young-chan said that Seoul had received prior notice of the postponement of the meeting.
Trump had expressed his willingness to meet with Kim again but US National Security Adviser, John Bolton, recently said that the meeting could be delayed until the beginning of 2019.
Pompeo had visited Pyongyang a month ago to prepare for the meeting and had met with Kim Jong-un, but did not say if it helped in the planning of the second summit.