Journalist killed in Ghana after unveiling corruption scandal

President of Ghana Nana Akufo-Addo speaks during the opening ceremony for the 6th edition of the Africa CEO Forum 2018 in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, Mar. 26, 2018. EPA-EFE FILE/LEGNAN KOULA

Accra, Jan 17 (efe-epa).- A journalist who helped unveil a corruption scandal within the Ghanaian soccer federation has been fatally shot, one of his colleagues reported Thursday.

Ahmed Hussein-Suale, who was part of a documentary that sparked the massive scandal that hit the national soccer federation, on Wednesday night was reportedly shot three times – twice in the chest and once in the neck – by unknown assailants riding a motorcycle.

«Sad news, but we shall not be silenced. Rest in peace, Ahmed,» the anonymous undercover investigative journalist Anas Aremeyaw Anas, best known as Tiger Eye PI, said on Twitter.

Anas, who has never revealed his or her face, was the mastermind behind a documentary titled «Number 12» that denounced the former head of the country’s soccer federation, Kwesi Nyantakyi.

Nyantakyi allegedly used the name of the African nation’s president, Nana Akufo-Addo, to curry favors and obtain bribes.

The documentary, which was released in June, featured a video of Nyantakyi appearing to accept $65,000 from undercover journalists disguised as «investors» in exchange for facilitating contracts with the offices of the country’s president and vice president.

The Ghanaian Journalists Association lamented Hussein-Suale’s death, while its current head, Roland Affail Monney, described it as «an attack on all journalists and on journalism in particular.»

Other members of the movie crew highlighted the fact that Hussein-Suale had been shot dead and the attackers had not stolen any of his belongings, the local Guardian newspaper reported.

After the scandal erupted, the Ghanaian government dissolved the federation and suspended all soccer activities.

In the wake of the documentary, Nyantakyi resigned from the federation’s presidency and from his post at the West African Football Union.

Nyantakyi was also handed a lifetime ban from taking part in any soccer-related activities at both the national and international levels.